SAVE THE DATE
Our VHPS GOLF OUTING is going to be held on May 1, 2017 at Bridgemill Golf Course with the 2017 Pairings Party on April 23 at SOHO Vinings. We are also looking for donations and sponsorships.Learn More...
Plan Your Special Day
Add to the history of the Pace House and Old Pavilion. Both buildings are connected to a spacious open deck area and feature a versatile reception area, making it the perfect venue for your special event.Read More
Preserve Our History
Help us preserve the historic spirit and structures of Vinings, educate the public about local history, engage in community preservation activities, and forge long-lasting relationships with the local residents and stakeholders.Read More
It Was A Perfect Setting
Wrapped in nineteenth century charm in the delightful village of Vinings, with its two historic gems, The Pace House and The Old Pavilion, provide the perfect setting for today’s bride and groom.Read More...
Historic Vinings Properties
The Old Pavillion
The Old Pavilion is one of the earliest surviving structures in Vinings and has provided shade, enjoyment and a gathering place for generations of Vinings locals and area visitors. The Old Pavilion was originally built as an open-air structure in 1874 by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to encourage residents of a resurgent Atlanta to venture out of the city for day trips. Atlantans would ride to the Pavilion by train or carriage to seek the cool of the bluffs overlooking the Chattahoochee and picnic and dance under the shade of the ample building.
Windows were added in the 1940s when the Old Pavilion was purchased by Earle Carter Smith, a descendant of Vinings' founder Hardy Pace. The building housed antique shops until 1995 when it was moved from its original location at the corner of Mountain Street and Ranch Road to the grounds of the Pace House, where it is currently used for VHPS community events and is also available for rent for weddings, receptions, parties and other events. Please see our facilities page for rental information.
The Pace House
If you're looking for the perfect place to hold your wedding, family reunion or celebration, look no further than the Pace House, Vinings' most historic and beautiful location. The Solomon and Penelopy Pace House and Old Pavilion offer an oasis of old Southern small-town charm right at the doorstep of Atlanta.
This historic house was built with the remains of the 17-room antebellum home of Vinings founder Hardy Pace. The house served as General Sherman's temporary headquarters where he planned the siege of Atlanta. Hardy's son, Solomon Pace, returned home after the Civil War to find the home in ruins. Sometime between 1865 and 1874, Solomon painstakingly rebuilt the home—albeit more modestly—from doors, windows and remnants of several small cabins that survived the fire of the main house.
Today, the Pace House consists of three rooms: a parlor, a dining room and a bridal room. The adjacent Old Pavilion, itself a Vinings landmark, offers ample event space bathed in natural light in a historic setting. The facilities include a catering kitchen complete with refrigerator, warming stove, and sink as well as moveable tables for food preparation and assembly. Two male and two female restrooms are provided on-site. A spacious open deck connects the buildings. Lush trees on the lawn provide shade during the day and at night choose the exterior lighting or the moonlight above.
As of May 2009, the Pace House has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Click on some of the photos below to view The Pace House as we go through renovations.
The Yarbrough House
The Yarbrough House was built in 1880 by Samuel Yarbrough for his wife Ella Pace Yarbrough, granddaughter of Hardy Pace, the town's founder. The house remained in the Pace family for more than a century. In the early 20th century, the Yarbrough House served as a teahouse for the upper-crust ladies of Vinings society. By the late 1970s Pace heiress and VHPS predecessor Ruth Carter Vanneman purchased the house and leased it for use as a restaurant—the famous Old Vinings Inn.
When Vanneman died in 1993, the restaurant moved across the street and the fate of the building became uncertain. But Piedmont Hospital, which operates a clinic next door to the Yarbrough house, was able to purchase the building through a foundation after which they generously donated it to the newly organized VHPS. The VHPS has undertaken the mission of restoring the building to its original historical floor plan and outfitting it with original 1880s period furniture. Donations for upkeep and further furniture acquisitions are encouraged and gratefully accepted.